A blog is a great way to create monthly income. Many bloggers I know make $1000-$10000+ per month by writing about topics they are passionate about. I am sure you are wondering how someone can make that kind of $$$ writing a blog. The 4 ways are:
- Be a consultant. Put a “HIRE ME” section in your blog
- Create a Course people can purchase
- Affiliate Partnerships with products/companies you would recommend
- Google Adsense marketing (easiest way)
For example, let’s say you wanted to start a Photography blog.
- Setup 1 on 1 training sessions to teach how to run a successful photography business
- Create a how-to course on Photography for beginners
- If you like a specific lens or camera, refer customers through affiliate partnerships
- As you drive traffic to your site, Google Adsense will place targeted links on your site
What do you like to do? No matter what it is I am sure you can think of ways to implement these 4 strategies.
Now that we got the wheels turning, here is how to do it…don’t worry it is easy!
Based on my experience with blogging and researching different website hosts and platforms, I have found Bluehost and WordPress are the best tools to start a blog.
How does a blog work:
I will explain a quick overview of how a blog works and then outline a step-by-step guide on how to set it up.
A blog has 3 parts:
- Domain – web address
- Host – Company that runs your site from their servers
- Platform – The engine that powers your site
For my blog it looks like this:
This is the basic structure you need to know to get your blog up and running!
When picking a Domain name…try to be creative. YoungAdultSurvivalGuide.com is to the point, and pretty easy to remember. Go with what you like, don’t over think it. At the end of the day, if you have good content and connect with your readers they will come back!
Bluehost will give you a FREE domain when you sign up for their hosting service!
See if your domain name is available here
There are several hosting companies out there, but Bluehost is the company people use when they want to make money blogging. Bluehost streamlines the whole website/blog process into a concise, easy to use structure. One benefit, as mentioned previously, they give you a free domain and set up an email address with that domain attached.
Also, to be honest, I never call 1-800 numbers or customer service lines, but I actually did with Bluehost. A real living, breathing, person answered my question within 5 minutes. (This is not a shameless plug, it really happened.) There is something to be said about good service.
This is the number 1 reason why every blogger should use Bluehost. Bluehost organizes all of your data on their servers and teams up with WordPress to help create the blog appearance. WordPress is the industry leader in building and running a blog. Most blogs and major company websites are powered by WordPress! Through your Bluehost service, WordPress is provided for FREE. Say What? Yes, you read that right, through Bluehost you have access to WordPress for free. WordPress simplifies the process of creating a professional quality blogging site.
Now that you have the background knowledge of a blog, let me walk you through how to get your blog setup.
1. Select your Host and Register Your Domain
Click here to set up your blog like I did through Bluehost. Make sure you sign up for 12 months of hosting. Going month to month is a pain, I would not recommend this. It costs more money and if you don’t pay, your blog is shut down.
They give you different plans to select from with Bluehost. I chose basic because it is the cheapest and does everything I need it to do for now. Once you select a plan, you pay the entire 12 months upfront, so $50 bucks.
Next, comes the fun part, you will get to pick your Domain name.
And then 🙂
- Pick Hosting Plan (Basic works)
- Select a Domain Name
- Enter personal information
- Billing Information
- Create password
2. Install WordPress
This is where the magic happens. You are almost there.
- Sign in to Bluehost and click Home in the top left corner. You will come to this page:
- Click on Install WordPress (This is installing WordPress to Bluehost, not your computer)
- Then you will be sent to “MOJO Marketplace”, this is a 3rd party site that sells themes and other website tools. You do not need to buy anything from them if you don’t want to.
- Click the Install button, then find WordPress and select your domain name in the dropdown.
- Create a secure WordPress Admin login in the “Advanced Features” section. It is important that you make these logins very secure because people do try and hack sites to edit them, or shut them down.
- Click “Install”
You have now setup your Money Making Blog! Let’s pick a theme you like….
Go to your awesome blog by typing in the domain url you selected. Then log into WordPress with the information you put in from the MOJO Marketplace. The login looks like this:
Once you log in, there are several options. It won’t take you long to figure out the various features, I would recommend trying different things and seeing how it looks.
Here is the dashboard you will see:
Go to the appearance tab on the left and select themes. This is one of my favorite parts of having a blog. It’s up to you what you want your blog to look like. There are free and paid themes. (Free themes I recommend are Zenblog and River Blog)
Final advice on Blogging:
Blogging is fun and a great way to discuss topics you are passionate about. You are not going to be a balling blogger right off the bat, however with passion and dedication I know you will do great.
One podcast that has helped inspire and teach me to blog is The Blog Millionaire by Brandon Gaille (yes it is free!). Check it out.
Then, hustle on Social Media and have fun with it. You do not need to be all business, let people know who you are and what you’re passionate about. Most importantly, be yourself…you do it best!
If you have questions or need advice feel free to contact me. I would love to chat.